WE GOT CHICKS!!!
I have wanted chickens forever and Trent never has been too opposed to the idea, so when we went to cousins over spring break and they had baby chicks, well that's just like giving a baby hungry mother your baby to hold and then a couple weeks later she's expecting....same goes....lol. So a week later after talking with my handsome, most wonderful husband in the world, and the neighbors (Trent said I had to) they all gave me permission to have chicks. I was planning on just getting two, since one is really all our family needs for eggs, but they are social animals so I figured two would be good. Plans changed again, this time it was the neighbor and Trent who said, the city ordinance allows 3 chickens, so get all 3. Okay you don't have to tell me twice...lol. So I let each child pick out and name their own chick.
Here is Chad with Feathers.
Brian with Fluffy.
And Kylie with Snowflake.
We got them all comfy cozy. Feathers always walks around like she's on patrol making sure everyone is okay. She has pretty big wings compared to the others so I think she's the oldest. Fluffy is our whiner, she cries a lot and really loud, she always has to be cuddled up to one of the other two, and hates to be left alone, but she really loves food, so she will grow up really fast. Snowflake is really fluffy, and a sweetheart(with humans). She makes sure to keep an eye on you and what's going on around her. She makes sure she gets what she wants even if she pushes and shoves the others to get it, but she's usually really relaxed and just chills out most of the time.
Kylie holding her chick.
Left to right : Snowflake, Fluffy, and Feathers.
Feathers, see what I mean, she looks at you like what do you want now? She is a Golden Sex Link chicken who should lay extra large, brown eggs, about 1 a day, sometimes 2 a day.
With Snowflake we have a debate, she was in with Araucana/Ameraucana and White Leghorns. The guys at the store couldn't even tell me what she was so after bringing her home and doing A TON of research. In which I found she is probably not a Leghorn, but that Araucana (Easter Egg Chickens) and Ameraucana are different and not the same thing as the sign suggests....lol. Of course it couldn't be easy. I guess Ameraucana's are more of a true blood and are used to produce Easter Egg Chickens. Easter Egg chickens lay eggs of different colors green, pink, yellow, etc. Ameaucana's have a high mortality rate of chicks that aren't even born because of the gene. They lay blue eggs and I tell you all this because I'm pretty sure Snowflake is an Ameraucana. One of the best signs is they have a "beard" which she does, so this is my best educated guess and I'm not 100% sure, but blue eggs would be cool. Fluffy is also a Golden Sex Link chicken so we should be getting a lot of eggs once they all grow up.
Here they are sleeping, all tuckered out, get use to it girls, we have a busy house. Hopefully we have all girls too, if not I guess we'll have chicken noodle soup, hahaha.
0 comments:
Post a Comment